To the British government,
We are a collective of youth and student groups in Britain. We believe the Trident nuclear weapons system should be scrapped, and plans for its replacement abandoned. We want Britain to be a country free from nuclear weapons, and we call upon the British government to respect the wishes of our generation.
In the text below, we outline our reasons for wanting Trident scrapped. [Please see here for the full version of the letter and download it here as a pdf]
‘…We The Movement for the Abolition of War Youth, stand together in objection to the further renewal of Trident. We take responsibility to act with and for future generations as previous generations have influenced the world in which we grew up…’
‘…Mae gwladwriaethau fel yr Almaen a Gwledydd Sgandinafia yn medru ffynnu heb system arfau niwlcear. Dyma wladwriaethau sydd yn buddsoddi’n sylweddol yn y wladwriaeth lês, mewn strwythrau trafnidiaeth gyhoeddus ac mewn addysg a diwylliant…’
‘…States such as Germany and the Scandinavian countries can prosper without a nuclear arms system. These states invest substantially in the welfare state, in public transport infrastructure and in education and culture…’
‘…Trident’s replacement will cost over £100 billion over its lifetime – and with that money, we could fully fund all A&E services in hospitals for 40 years, or cancel tuition fees for 4 million students…’
Please do all you can to prevent the replacement of Trident, and to make Britain nuclear weapon-free.
- Movement for the Abolition of War Youth
- Plaid Ifanc
- Student Christian Movement
- Young Friends General Meeting
- Young Greens
- Youth and Student CND.
What you can do
- Share this letter. You can use this template post on social media:
- A youth & student collective call on the government to #ScrapTrident | Share their letter #youthagainstTrident https://youthagainsttrident.wordpress.com/
- Whether you’re a young person/student or not, make an appointment with your MP, and take our letter with you! If you’re unable to do that, send the letter to your MP, or Tweet it at them. We want all MPs to take the views of younger people – those who will have to live with this decision for the next generation – into account. Find your MP here.
- If you’re a student or young person, tell us why you want to #ScrapTrident, and use the hashtag #youthagainstTrident, so we can follow your tweets! Here’s an example!
Photo credit: Yorkshire CND